This review was meant to go on my Vogue.com.tw Beauty Blog but I decided to share with you here first. Trust me, it’s so much faster to write in English even if it is not the first language! For those who prefer to read in Chinese, I will get it done asap.
I have been wanting to share with you my review about this Pore & Shine Control Primer from NARS ever since I got it. In fact, some of my friends have started using it after my recommendation. But online, in a blog post, I prefer to make sure the result before sharing.
I don’t exactly have very bad skin but oily and as a result, bigger pores. Oily skin to me is a big problem in real life. The foundation doesn’t stay long, face looks kind of dirty the end of day, people think you are nervous with lots of sweats on your face, even the eyelid is oily and whatever eye makeup you apply on looks like you are wearing a night club ready smokey eyes, and etc… For those who take lots of photos regularly for social media like me, I am sure you know how annoying it is to have the super shinny skin like you are wearing your highlighter all over faces on the photos! Recording the videos is even worse, you always have to pick the right light or add filters to avoid the shininess and the horrible poles showing while some perfect skin girls can just pick up the phone or camera and take photos at anytime under any lighting without filters. I was desperate to find something to look perfect on the photos and videos just like those girls!
Ok, enough of blahblahblah, let’s cut into the chase. My expectation vs actual experience of NARS Pore & Shine Control Primer are:
I actually had only one expectation and sorry my expectation sounds a bit crazy 😛 Out of desperation, I was seeking for anything that will make me look perfect like I apply filter on my face. Yes, I want to apply filter on my face in real life!
Sorry, you are not able to wear “filters” on your face just by one product alone. Applying layers and layers of everything on your face like some of those online makeup gurus might do the tricks. But might get cakey quite quickly and possibly looking like a plastic doll in real life. But for the normal amount of makeup that average people wear, I need to be honest with you that pores and imperfections are still there even though certainly better after this Pore & Shine Control Primer. But well, I guess my expectation is way too unrealistic! So what this Pore & Shine Control Primer actually does to my skin:
- It keeps my skin matte with much less shineness for a very long time. I don’t know for how long it will last but on me, it is all day long from morning until early evening and that is all I need.
- It really keeps the makeup in place even on the eyelid because of this matte effect.
- Although it doesn’t make the pores disappeared but it does reduce the size a bit. I guess if you have smaller pores, it will work amazingly on you but mine are huge unfortunately.
- The texture makes the foundation and makeup apply like a dream. Everything go on smoothly.
- Even though it is to mattify your skin but it doesn’t dry out the skin either. In fact, my friend with normal skin is using it and very happy about it.
- I love the cold touch on my skin with this primer.
- It is very light on skin. It doesn’t make me feel like I am applying lots of makeup on me with this extra layer.
- It doesn’t have weird fragrance smell. In fact, it doesn’t really have any smell.
- NARS isn’t the most expensive beauty company in the market, so is this primer. It is 27 pounds in UK.
- On top of reasonable price, you only need very little amount of the primer for the whole face.
10 benefits from one product is amazing! And if you wish to get a photogenic skin ready with the help of this primer. Yes, it certainly does the job. But if you are dreaming to have a perfect filtered face like I was. Then, you might have to born perfect I am afraid.(oops!) Overall, I am very happy with it and will carry on using it and recommend it to friends and family.
Products in the photos are this NARS Pore and Shine Control Primer and Velvet Matte Skin Tint which is also by NARS and a great product too especially for oily skin. I normally use these two together if I wear makeup or for photoshoot. But Pore and Shine Control Primer works great by itself or with other products from different brands too.
If you have any other primer experience or recommendation for oily skin, please do share with me. thanks! Happy weekend. x HsinWei